Re: ATTN: Barbara Oncay

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:50:39AM -0700, David E. Fox wrote:
> Obviously one has to way the disadvantage of added bloat (adding
> signatures this way is going to make for slightly bigger mails) vs.
> having a defense ("there's the signature") against people who just
> can't figure out how to unsubscribe and send invective the way Ms.
> Oncay did.

I would be fine with whatever obnoxiously bloaty method is used for
alerting people how to unsubscribe (giant blinking red html text
*pre*pended to every message even), as long as there's a way to opt out.

For example, after subscribing, having to click something ``I understand
that the proper way to unsubscribe from the mailing list is by doing
$FOO or $BAR, and agree to pay $100 to the Debian mailing list admins if
I should ever pester the mailing list about wanting to be
unsubscribed'' and then never having mailing list posts mangled when
relayed to my mailbox  (A suitably legally binding agreement can be
discussed on debian-legal.)

If subscribers don't want to click that, they can get the unsubscribe
reminders in every email in whatever format they want (attachment,
simple appending, flash animation popups, etc.).