Re: Color printers (was Re: Printer for linux?)

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 11:39 -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 04:11, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > [snip]
> >
> > > The comment about consumables is important.  I haven't been able to
> > > follow all this thread (tax time, you know!), but an important
> > > point
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > did with all the ink it needed.  Under the same use, the C60 needed
> > > something like 6 times more carts than the HP.  6 * $30 (per cart)
> > > is $180, or almost the price of the $200 all-in-one over just 9
> > > months.
> >
> > Any other other color printers besides the HP 5510 with low
> > consumables costs?
> >
> > My kids are getting to the age where they need/want to print things
> > out in color (too old for crayons).
>
> I don't know the price point, but basically the low cost printers are
> designed to do nothing but sell ink carts.  I'd say look over the
> printers and try one that is not in the lowest range and looks more
> like an office printer than a home model.  From what I gather and from
> what a few people have told me, basically, the higher the cost, the
> less likely a printer is to use ink carts fast.  I'm guessing that
> anything over $100 should be pretty decent, but I can't be 100% on
> that.  I do know a friend of mine looked (a photo professor) at figures
> and said that the ink in any photo printer was more expensive per ounce
> than the most expensive Parisian perfumes.  He also told me it costs
> more per photo to use a home printer to print them than it does to use
> film and have it developed.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/print_3100cn?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Pretending to be a "small business", I bought this printer this
morning with a $175 discount.

It's supposed to have great picture and text output, but it's a
slow beast.  I can live with that for a good $350 color laser
printer...

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Capital as such is not evil; it is its wrong use that is evil.
Capital in some form or other will always be needed."
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi