Printer for linux?

Evening chaps,

I'm in the market for a printer and would appreciate any recommendations. I should think this is an oft asked question, but since the printer market seems to move at a rapier like pace, thought it ok to ask again for any recent experiences.

I'd like a networked monochrome laser printer with duplex printing.

I have no experience at all of printing with linux, and the couple of HOWTOs I've looked at suggest to me it's rarely a simple matter to get things up and running.

My potted understanding is that unix/linux applications generally output postscript formatted data for printing and since Joe Public can't afford a postcript capable printer, postscript interpreters (eg ghostscript) have been developed which sit in between postscript data streams and non postscript (HP PCL?) printers. Do correct me if I'm wrong with any of this.

I've been looking at the Brother range, in particular the HL-5250DN...

   http://www.printerbase.co.uk/spec/pdf/brother_hl5250dn.pdf
   (spec on page 2)

...which has true 1200x1200 resolution - but only 600x600 for a linux machine for some reason... (I should also say that windows applications will also be driving this thing).

My main query in respect of this printer is Brother's "BR-Script". Does anyone understand this? Is it a proprietary effort to do the same thing as ghostscript, or does it mean you can actually treat the printer like a real postscript machine?

Any advice gratefully received,