Re: Color printers (was Re: Printer for linux?)

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 04:11, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 21:01 -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > On Monday 17 April 2006 21:47, Doofus wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Diego.
>
> [snip]
>
> > The comment about consumables is important.  I haven't been able to
> > follow all this thread (tax time, you know!), but an important
> > point
>
> [snip]
>
> > did with all the ink it needed.  Under the same use, the C60 needed
> > something like 6 times more carts than the HP.  6 * $30 (per cart)
> > is $180, or almost the price of the $200 all-in-one over just 9
> > months.
>
> Any other other color printers besides the HP 5510 with low
> consumables costs?
>
> My kids are getting to the age where they need/want to print things
> out in color (too old for crayons).

I don't know the price point, but basically the low cost printers are
designed to do nothing but sell ink carts.  I'd say look over the
printers and try one that is not in the lowest range and looks more
like an office printer than a home model.  From what I gather and from
what a few people have told me, basically, the higher the cost, the
less likely a printer is to use ink carts fast.  I'm guessing that
anything over $100 should be pretty decent, but I can't be 100% on
that.  I do know a friend of mine looked (a photo professor) at figures
and said that the ink in any photo printer was more expensive per ounce
than the most expensive Parisian perfumes.  He also told me it costs
more per photo to use a home printer to print them than it does to use
film and have it developed.

Hal