Re: Printer for linux?

Doofus wrote:

I've just been reading linuxprinting's endorsement of HP machines, but the bottom line (for me) is the relatively inordinate price of HP's stuff.

The same applies Lexmark (also highly recommended) once you decide you need a duplex printer.

And the same applies to Samsung with regard to consumables - a bit of crazy price for toner cartridges compared with the Brothers, which is a shame because there's an excellent offer on the ML-3561N (33ppm, networked, 1200x1200, Postscript 3, duplex, 500 sheet tray) in the UK if anyone is interested:

   http://www.printerbase.co.uk/acatalog/samsung_ml3560.html

Anyway, thanks for all replies.

I've had a Samsung ML-1450 mono laser for years. Samsung provide closed-source drivers, so you know that Linux is supported. However, I can get all the functionality with CUPS and a few Free utilities eg a2ps.

The drum is combined with the toner cartridge. That's why consumables are expensive. (No doubt this is true for the other manufacturers too.) To make it afordable, I refill the toner. http://www.refilltoner.com/ provide a kit in the UK, but there must be similar firms across the world. I have only had to replace the drum once.

Chris.