Re: Upgrade xorg in Sid breaks link

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 04:30:54PM -0700, Michael M. wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >apt-cache policy shows that xserver-xorg and x11-common just went to
> >7.0.10 today (I upgraded yesterday morning) so this is sure to generate
> >a lot of mail...

<snip of the well written text which praises Debian's packagers>

And here is my mail.

I upgraded X to 7.0; it didn't start. I didn't loose faith. After peering about my brain, I decide to install xorg. This package, I know, doesn't exist. Instead, it points me to the ones I need. Well, surprise!, it now is a package. It installs xserver-xorg (which had been removed, oddly enough...) and all is well.

Expect for gtk.

All things that use gtk (Firefox, Synaptic and Gnome itself) do not run. Firefox fails thus:

$ firefox
The program 'firefox-bin' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
(Details: serial 183 error_code 1 request_code 152 minor_code 23)

Yummy. Synaptic:

# synaptic
X Error: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation) 1
Major opcode: 152
Minor opcode: 23
Resource id: 0x2a00041
The program 'synaptic' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
(Details: serial 330 error_code 1 request_code 152 minor_code 23)

Lovely.

What the devil do I do? I use KDE so this is not critical. But, it is a pain having to use Opera (better engine, worse usage) and the infinitely inferior KPackage. Any assistance will be nice indeed. In case it should matter, I also use the package which asks gtk applications to draw using Qt (gtk2-engines-gtk-qt is its name, I think.).

Cheers.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.