Re: Upgrade xorg in Sid breaks link

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
apt-cache policy shows that xserver-xorg and x11-common just went to
7.0.10 today (I upgraded yesterday morning) so this is sure to generate
a lot of mail...

I ran Debian Etch for some months, but about two weeks ago I decided to switch to Sid. This morning I realized I had negected to install a little app I use from time to time, so I tried to install it and aptitude complained about a missing package. Oops, better do an update first. Ok, may as well do an upgrade.

...What's this? xserver-xorg is going to be *removed*? All these new xserver hyphenated files are going to be installed? Oh no, this is the ... MODULAR X. Before I could stop myself, I hit "g," then hit it again. Crap. Should I abort? This day has just been shot to hell, I think.

Down the packages come, slowly (second time in a row I've had a lousy transfer rate ... gonna have to check into that). I'm thinking, who do you think you are, running Sid!? You're barely more than a newb. Why oh why didn't you do a backup yesterday? Why oh why didn't you check the mailing list before upgrading? I assemble all the hardware manuals and docs I can get my hands on, nervously watching the screen.

Half-an-hour of self-flagellation later, the downloads finish and I wait for the endless configuration questions. I get only one message, about a new kernel image that's the same as the old kernel image, and telling me I need to reboot. I shut down, and take a shower. Do some breathing exercises. Make some more coffee.

I push the power button. Up comes grub. The boot process starts. I see one vague warning about some true type fonts flash by. Up comes gdm. No blinking and crashing. I enter my username and password. Up comes Gnome. It looks normal. I launch by browser. Up comes my homepage, looking normal. I launch my audio player. I have sound. I try some of my keyboard shortcuts. They work. I check the X log for errors. There are none.

I collapse on the floor in a heap of nervous exhaustion.

I am in awe of Debian development and developers.  :-)

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson