Re: Upgrade xorg in Sid breaks link

Anthony Campbell wrote:
I just did an upgrade of X in Sid. Numerous packages were removed and
installed (can't remember them all). During the installation a message
appeared saying that the link /etc/X11/X was being redirected to
/bin/true. No idea why this was done but the result was that X would no
longer start. I therefore remade the link to point to /usr/bin/X11/Xorg
and everything worked again.

Question: why was the link remade in this way? Bug in some package, but
which?

There seems to have been an issue with this while Xorg 7.0 was still in
experimental, but according to the changelog it was fixed:

----------
xorg (1:7.0.10) unstable; urgency=low

  * Force migration of symlink if it points to /bin/true. Thanks Sune Vuorela
    for the bug report and Ari Pollak for the fix.
  * Upload to unstable

Therefore it is probably appropriate to file a bug report against
"x11-common" or "xserver-xorg". (The package maintainer will reassign it
if necessary.)

Regards,
           Florian