Re: Experimenting with Debian

Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
On Wednesday 12 April 2006 18:10, Michael M. wrote:
Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/debian_choosing_distribution.ht
ml

Excellent FAQ I think.

Thanks!

  You might want to update #17:
"Currently Debian does not offer any security updates to testing or
unstable. So make sure that you remove the lines relating to security
updates of stable in /etc/apt/sources.list ."

Debian does have security updates for testing now.

I am unaware of this. Could you please answer the following questions.

For a user running stable and thinking of shifting to testing, What are the
changes to be done (in terms of getting security support)?

Is the security suport for testing distribution officially supported by
Debian? For example, backports is not officially supported. Though many stable
users are very content with it.

thanks
raju

The repositories are:

deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free

Yes, this is an "official" part of the Debian project. Someone who knows more about how Debian organizes itself could probably provide details about how it fits into the overall scheme of things. My vaguely formed impression is that there are separate security teams, one for stable, one for testing. You could probably find more information by searching or browsing some of the security mailing lists.

I think your basic points still stand, though. Anyone looking for security and stability above all other criteria should stick to stable. Newer apps and newer versions of older apps are bound to have more security issues than those in stable. But many seem to have the impression that testing is hung out to dry when it comes to security, and that's really not the case.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson