Re: Experimenting with Debian

Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
On Tuesday 11 April 2006 11:31, Toby Satchell wrote:
Hi,

I am setting up a dual boot with debian and want to experiment with it
as a desktop. I am wondering which would be the best version to go for,
Stable, Testing , Unstable. I run Stable at the moment with for a
server, but wondering if testing would be a better option for a desktop
as I would also like to implement steam under wine(and the other one I
can't remember at the moment)

Can somebody with some experience please offer some advice.

This used to be a frequent question on this list and I had the same questions
when I started using Debian. So I wrote an FAQ on this which can be found at

http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/debian_choosing_distribution.html

After reading this, if you have more questions, please let me know. Then I will
change the FAQ accordingly. Input from new users is very important for such
FAQs.

hth
raju

Excellent FAQ I think.  You might want to update #17:

"Currently Debian does not offer any security updates to testing or unstable. So make sure that you remove the lines relating to security updates of stable in /etc/apt/sources.list ."

Debian does have security updates for testing now.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson