Re: How often should I fsck my ext3 partition?

Mike McCarty wrote:
A related question is how to do it without taking the machine down
uncleanly or fiddling an arcane file somewhere. I've thought about
perhaps doing...

To my understanding it's not a good idea to do a fsck to a mounted filesystem. If your question is 'how to _force_ a fsck without _forcibly_ taking down the machine uncleanly', the answer could be:

shutdown -rF now

this will bring the machine down cleanly, forcing a fsck on reboot.

It still involves rebooting the system, though.

Johannes