Re: filename prefixes while transfering images from memory cards

H.S. wrote:

> kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>
> I am already quite familiar with this method. However, if I have large
> number of images in my memory card, it is much more convenient to see
> the images in a browser, select the ones belong to a specific group, and
> copy them over to the harddisk with a preset file format, e.g.
> yyyymmdd_groupnamestring_nnn.jpg, where nnn is automatically fixed by
> the application (gtkam and digikam do this, IIRC).
>
> To get the same effect with a bash script, I need to first get the files
> of images I want to save as one group (which may be nonsequenatial in
> the memory card), then get their basenames and then copy them over with
> the newly constructed names. The first step is the most cumbersome. With
> a GUI browser, it is becomes sooo easy.
>
> So, to put it in very approximate terms, I am enquiring if my memory
> card maybe seen as a camera with an application in the same way as gtkam
> sees a camera through the USB port.
>
> ->HS

I know that in Digikam, you can set up your camera as a USB mass storage
device.  It's near the bottom of the list of camera models.  All you reall
need to fill out is the mount point.  Then, when you connect to the camera,
you get the normal download interface, but you use a USB block device back
end instead of gphoto2 or its ilk.  I would imagine that gtkam has some
similar functionality (though, looking at its web site, it doesn't seem
like it).  If you want a Gnome program, how about f-spot?

Justin