Re: lists.debian.org vs google groups

On Monday 03 April 2006 18:45, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>On 2006-04-03, kamaraju kusumanchi penned:
>> The advantages I see are
>>
>> (1) A web interface to subscribe/unsubscribe and change
>> mail/digest/no email options. So we will not see those unsubscribe
>> emails.
>
>Disadvantage: It requires using a web interface to post.  Everyone who
>enjoys using a browser form rather than their own customized text
>editor, raise your hand.

Notice I'm typeing with one hand while sticking some brocoli in my face
with the other.

>> Is there anything that can be done with lists.debian.org that cannot
>> be done through google groups?
>
>Sure.  Right now I use gmane to read d-u.  That means that I can
>actually view it as a newsgroup.  I don't think that is possible using
>google groups.  You also lose the power of all of the filtering that
>can be done via procmail, maildrop, etc.  I bet a lot of long-time
>posters here have developed all sorts of ways of processing these
>emails.

Iiiieeeuuuuupp.  procmail is the ticket.  OTOH, verizon seems to stop
quite a bit, my nightly SA report only averages about 5% spam in my
incoming, or less than 70 spam msgs in a given day.  Apparently they
haven't found my gmail account yet, its activity, after proving it
works, has been zilch.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: