Re: Can I host a svn repository on apache-1.3?

Jim MacBaine wrote:
> On 4/3/06, Roel Schroeven <rschroev_nospam_ml@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>Ah, does that mean that Confixx doesn't support Apache2? That's good to
> Confixx _does_ support Apache2.  But the upgrade procedure from
> apache-1.2 to apache-2.0 is not trivial on a server with half a dozen
> resellers and ~30 domains, half of which have some custom
> configuration in the apache configuration.
> But setting up another server with apache2 on another ip address _is_
> trivial and it has already happened.
>>There's another solution for your problem: install an Apache2 server
>>next to the existing 1.3, and make it listen on another port. Use the
>>Apache2 instance only for Subversion.
> This is no option. The reason is the same as for svnserve: Some of the
> users sit in a universitory dorm's network with incompetent admins.
> Any repository which is not accessible on port 80 or 443 will not work
> for them.
> I've set up the repository on a different server with apache2 and
> libapache2-svn. Workes perfectly.
> Regards,
> Jim

Then you have no problem.  Investigate the ProxyPass and
ProxyPassReverse directives.  I use these so that when, for example, I
go to http://foo.bar/someplace/, the apache server listenening for
connections on port 80 proxies the connections to an apache server at
http://localhost:8080/.  Of course, you can even do this with other
apache servers on your network, but I find it most useful for running
apache 1.3 and 2.0 (or two of the same version with different modules
loaded) on the same server.

Roberto C. Sanchez