Re: Can I host a svn repository on apache-1.3?

On 4/3/06, Roel Schroeven <rschroev_nospam_ml@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Ah, does that mean that Confixx doesn't support Apache2? That's good to
> know.

Confixx _does_ support Apache2.  But the upgrade procedure from
apache-1.2 to apache-2.0 is not trivial on a server with half a dozen
resellers and ~30 domains, half of which have some custom
configuration in the apache configuration.

But setting up another server with apache2 on another ip address _is_
trivial and it has already happened.

> There's another solution for your problem: install an Apache2 server
> next to the existing 1.3, and make it listen on another port. Use the
> Apache2 instance only for Subversion.

This is no option. The reason is the same as for svnserve: Some of the
users sit in a universitory dorm's network with incompetent admins.
Any repository which is not accessible on port 80 or 443 will not work
for them.

I've set up the repository on a different server with apache2 and
libapache2-svn. Workes perfectly.

Regards,
Jim