Re: soap-lite

Tim Toennsen wrote:
Dear sir,

I have a problem installing soap lite. The important point is that I need
version 0.60. I need it for a programm (bee) and its only running properly
with this version. So I tried t install it with apt-get install
libsoap-lite-perl/stable, but he gave me an error: "E: Release »stable« für
»libsoap-lite-perl« konnte nicht gefunden werden". So I went to the webpage,
downloaded the source code and installed it manually. That works (I got no
error messages). After that I tried to run a special patch which is included
to the programm I need it for (bee). So I searched the installation path of
the module (locate...) and couldnt find it. Even symaptic tool is not
mentioning that soap is installed. Nevertheless I think that it is
installed, because the programm delivers a script to test the environment
and this sais I have the right version installed. Only the patch is
missing... What can I do? Where is the packet installed or should I install
it from debian again? how? Thanks a million for your help.

What is in your /etc/apt/sources.list? libsoap-lite-perl 0.60-2 is
currently in stable, so you should be able to install it with the
command that you give above. Alternatively you could also try to ask for
the version:

apt-get install libsoap-lite-perl=0.60*

If you compile something from source it is normal that the Debian
package management system does not know about this particular program.
You could use "checkinstall" to build a .deb file in such cases. This
.deb can then be installed using dpkg and you package management system
will know what happened and, more importantly, where all the files are
located.

Regarding the problem with the patch: If you manage to install the
Debian package for libsoap-lite-perl 0.60, then a simple "dpkg -L
libsoap-lite-perl" will list where all the files are on the system. With
the custom installation from source you will have to check the makefile
or whatever script you call at the end of the installation. If you post
links to the relevant webpages, somebody might be able to have a quick
look and help you out further.

Regards,
           Florian