Simple introduction to email handling under Debian Linux?

Hi there,

I'm new to Linux. I've set up sarge and updated it to the latest stable
distrib.  I'm using fetchmail, procmail, Exim4, amavis, SA-exim and
Evolution.  Evolution picks up mail from \var\mail\<username>, but I
seem unable to set up anti-virus scanning,
either with f-prot or with clamav.  I've followed various instructions
for configuring clamav, procmail, amavis, exim4 but eicar arrives
undetected just the same.

If I do "ps x" it doesn't show clamavd running - should it?  If so how
do I start the daemon?

There is nothing in the amavis log to show passage of or scanning of
mail, yet it does arrive - could it somehow be bypassing exim?.

What an I doing wrong?  Or better still, is there a simple account
anywhere of how all these bits should fit together?  I get the
impression that there are lots of different ways of getting virus and
spam scanning done, and I am thoroughly confused.

(I have removed spamassasin because spam is not a real problem to me,
and it just seemed to spawn daemons in fives).  As I eventually wish to
use Linux on a mail server for a network of W*** machines it is viruses
that are the real threat.

Charles