Re: Simple introduction to email handling under Debian Linux?

On (27/03/06 16:59), Charles Fletcher wrote:
> I'm new to Linux. I've set up sarge and updated it to the latest stable
> distrib.  I'm using fetchmail, procmail, Exim4, amavis, SA-exim and
> Evolution.  Evolution picks up mail from \var\mail\<username>, but I
> seem unable to set up anti-virus scanning,
> either with f-prot or with clamav.  I've followed various instructions
> for configuring clamav, procmail, amavis, exim4 but eicar arrives
> undetected just the same.
>
> If I do "ps x" it doesn't show clamavd running - should it?  If so how
> do I start the daemon?
>
> There is nothing in the amavis log to show passage of or scanning of
> mail, yet it does arrive - could it somehow be bypassing exim?.
>
> What an I doing wrong?  Or better still, is there a simple account
> anywhere of how all these bits should fit together?  I get the
> impression that there are lots of different ways of getting virus and
> spam scanning done, and I am thoroughly confused.

This doesn't replicate your setup exactly but may help:

http://www.clivemenzies.co.uk/selfhelp/MailServer.php

Although it covers setting up a mailserver, there are instructions to
activate clamav/spamassassin with sa-exim.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...