state of keepalived/ipvs for load balancing

Hello,

I am in the process of testing a new loadbalancer including failover for
our webservers. From what I read in the docs at linuxvirtualserver.org
keepalived seems the right tool since it already includes VRRP failover
and LVS balancing.

I have set up keepalived in a test environment right now (using debian
sarge and a stock 2.4.27 kernel) and it seems to work (as far as i can
tell by now) but I'm getting some strange log messages which make me a
little uneasy:

kernel: IPVS: set_ctl: len 24 < 92

I get hundreds of this message when keepalived is running. Anyone know
if this is something I should be worried about?

Also the docs mention a kernel patch for IPVS, is this already included
in the debian patches?
Is a sarge kernel (official .deb kernels) even suppose to work with
keepalived?

It would be very nice if someone could answer some of my questions or
tell me what is needed to make keepalived run w/o any problems (or any
other hints regarding this topic).

cheers,

tom

PS: Sorry if this is covered somehow in the docs but the installation
notes from keepalived are pretty old and im not sure if they are still
correct.

--
Thomas Spreng <spreng@iam.unibe.ch>

Institute of Computer Science and Applied Mathematics
University of Bern
Switzerland