Re: Netlimiter liike tool

On Friday 24 March 2006 05:09 pm, Chris Roddy wrote:
> indeed you can. trickle has several options for adjusting the detection
> window and smoothing behavior.
>
> honestly it seems to me that this train-wreck has resulted from a poorly
> phrased question. "is there a netlimiter-like tool in debian" is already
> proposing the solution. it seems to me that the question here is "how
> can i adjust network bandwidth consumption to achieve foo?"
>
> for me it was qos. now i've got my line saturated with bt traffic and
> external services cruise along responsively. ymmv.

apart from having to run trickle for each instance of the app (i think the OP
wanted a sys-tray type app that would throttle every invocation of an app x
without having to wrap the command line for the app x with trickle.), seems
to me that trickle does exactly what one would want.

any throttling is really timeslicing. it just seems simultaneous because the
timeslices are small enough.

so, set a small timeslice, smooth it out.. then setup shell aliases such that

firefox="trickle -trickle_opts firefox"

the problem isn't 100% solved. so don't start flaming me ;) for instance, if
you give firefox 50% of the bandwidth, and you launch 3 instances, you're
hosed.

another approach may be to script this following up and have it run from cron
every so many seconds:

1. use netstat to find what ports are in use and what program/user has it
open.

for every open port:
	2. lookup the programs/users in a conf file to see if they should be
		throttled.
	3. if the program/user needs to be throttled, write a tc rule for that port.

4. remove the old tc rules, apply the new tc rules.

this should handle dynamic ports. and since netstat can give you the user
associated with the port, you can even do this by user, by program, by port
and what have you.

that too doesn't really fit the OPs requirements of not having to
'write-your-own'. but most other people should be fine with writing scripts.
this is unix after all. so if it doesn't interest the OP (and please don't
flame me down to a crisp), i hope it interests others to continue this
discussion. this is an interesting problem after all.

anoop aryal.
aaryal@foresightint.com

--

anoop