Re: what kernel modules am I really using?

Adam Funk wrote:
On 2006-03-24, Sumo Wrestler (or just ate too much) <sumo.wrestler.0rj82m+no.spam.abuse@earthlink.net> wrote:

The third column of lsmod's output tells you if a module is being used. Take a look in /proc to find out what process is using a particular module.

Get info. about the lsmod command and proc filesystem;
$ man lsmod
$ man 5 proc

man lsmod.modutils says "The format is name, size, use count, list of
referring modules."  So for the lsmod output

cdrom                  33568  1 ide_cd
ide_disk 15936 7
cdrom is loaded because the ide_cd module requires it, right?  But
what exactly does "use count" mean -- the number of what kinds of
things that require a particular module?  In this case, ide_disk is
loaded and used by 7 things which are not other modules.

Correct, processes also use modules, but how to find out what process uses what module goes just slightly beyond the limit of my knowledge.