Re: Netlimiter liike tool

Chris Roddy wrote:
> honestly it seems to me that this train-wreck has resulted from a poorly
> phrased question. "is there a netlimiter-like tool in debian" is already
> proposing the solution. it seems to me that the question here is "how
> can i adjust network bandwidth consumption to achieve foo?"

    No, the trainwreck stems from people like you who read the quetion an
instead of answering it rewrite it to something else then answering that
question.  If I wanted to know adjust network consumption via traffic shaping
I would have asked just that.  I asked if there was a Netlimiter type tool
because I found that tool on Windows to control errant applications there far
simpler to grasp and far easier to use than even reading how to configure
traffic shaping through Shorewall... which is supposed to *simplfy the issue*.
 Open it up, look for the application, set limits on the application.

    That is EXCACTLY what I was looking for.  Setting limits on the
applications.  I was not looking for anything other than that.  Traffic
Shaping does not set limits on applications, it sets limits on ports and
protocols.  It's a common thing that happens on this list.  Rewrite the
question, answer the rewrite, then get snarky when people catch ya on doing
that politicians switch.