Re: Old mail - how to get access

Paul Scott wrote:

Marc Shapiro wrote:

That sound like maildir folders, as opposed to mbox. Does Thunderbird handle maildir?

Maybe my description wasn't complete enough but I am talking about mbox which I believe is what Netscape and Mozilla have always used. My first sentence says this even if tersely.

Yes, you were talking about mbox folders, but I am not sure that the OP was. Tony posted:

"The Mail directory is in my home directory and under that are the subfolders, then in the subfolders are numbered files each containing one email. Does this sound familiar and is it a Netscape Communicator mail directory?"

Individual numbered files, each containing a single e-mail message is *not* mbox. That would, I believe, be maildir.

Since I use Thunderbird with mbox, I can't vouch for what mail clients can read maildir files. According to 'apt-cache show mutt', however, mutt can handle maildir, so your suggestion, Paul, of using it should certainly work. Can anyone help Tony out with other possibilities? Or, is mutt OK with you, Tony?

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail