Re: Set up Mail server within LAN

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 11:55 +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (20/03/06 16:39), Rocky Ou wrote:
> > I'm using Debian Stable on my Desktop. I'm a Debian newbie, Maybe my
> > question is not even logical. I 'm wondering
> >
> >    1. Can I set up my machine so that some packages like MOODLE (I did
> >    not use apt-get to install it. Because I want to use the latest
> >    version) can send out emails. My machine is linked to  a Local Area
> >    Network.
> >    2. If this is possible which pakage should I use?
>
> You don't need a mailserver to send mails.  Part of the default
> installation for sarge is exim4 (MTA).  Assuming you have an ISP through
> which you send mail, try:
>
> # dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
>
> select the option which talks about sending mail via smarthost and when
> it asks for the smarthost address, insert your ISP's smtp server
> details.

Yes, this is how I do it, except using Postfix.  Then, in my MUA
I configure the "Sending mails" tab to use Sendmail (which Postfix
pretends to be) instead of SMTP.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

Why don't liberal Democrats stand up and say, "I am liberal and
proud of it!"? Conservatives would respect them more.