Old mail - how to get access

Hello.

Through disk and software changes I'm left with a Mail directory, probably from Netscape Communicator, that I would like to access with a normal mail client but I need to identify which one. The Mail directory is in my home directory and under that are the subfolders, then in the subfolders are numbered files each containing one email. Does this sound familiar and is it a Netscape Communicator
mail directory?

Any suggestions on the easiest way to pick through this Mail directory to pick out
the important emails?

thanks,
--

tony