Re: Old mail - how to get access

Paul Scott wrote:

tony mollica wrote:

Hello.

Through disk and software changes I'm left with a Mail directory, probably from Netscape Communicator, that I would like to access with a normal mail client but I need to identify which one. The Mail directory is in my home directory and under that are the subfolders, then in the subfolders are numbered files each containing one email. Does this sound familiar and is it a Netscape Communicator
mail directory?

Any suggestions on the easiest way to pick through this Mail directory to pick out
the important emails?

You can access them where they are with mutt or move them to where Thunderbird or some other mail client can see them.

The files without extensions are mail folders. You may see directories (folders) which may contain other files w/o extentions that are also mail folders.

With mutt you can just do
mutt -f <path>
or start mutt and press 'c' (change folder) and navigate from there.

With thunderbird put them (with a name that isn't already there) in the .../Mail/<account-name>/ directory while t-bird is not running and start t-bird and you will see those mail folders with the names you gave them. With other mail clients similar things are possible.

That sound like maildir folders, as opposed to mbox. Does Thunderbird handle maildir?

--
Marc Shapiro