Re: xserver-xorg fatal configuration

Þann 2006-03-07, 08:04:42 (-0600) skrifaði Kent West:
> Now I see two possible problems: 1) the libkdecore.so.4 file, which I
> still suspect, so I really would encourage you to try the things I
> suggested earlier which you thought had no bearing on your problem. 2)
> Apparently you have your system set up to ask you questions about setup
> during installation from an X interface rather than a text interface;
> I'd HIGHLY recommend you change that to just using plain old Dialog.
> Highly. I would try going into an xterm within X, and as your normal
> user who's logged into X, running "sudo dpkg-reconfigure debconf" and
> selecting "Dialog". (This assumes you've configured your user to have
> sufficient sudo capabilities; if not, you'll have to figure out some
> other way to give root access to your X session, such as xhost
> <shudder>.) But the more serious problem, from what I can see, is the
> libkdecore file.

Regarding the second item, you can allso (as root in an xterm) run
dpkg-reconfigure --frontend=dialog debconf and there choose dialog as
your default frontend. And thereafter try to reinstall xserver-xorg
with dpkg -i (the errors you got in the first place from that command
are I think related to the fact that dpkg -i calls upon debconf which
tries to connect to the xserver and fails cause it doesnt have
permission to do so).

Cheers

Oli