Re: xserver-xorg fatal configuration

Tore Ericsson wrote:

>Tuesday 7 March 2006 06:23 skrev Kent West:

>>>and I have no means of 'reinstalling whatever' except the netinstall CD,
>>>I'd appreciate other suggestions than what seems impossible, thanks for
>>>bothering anyhow :)
>>>

>>Are you saying that if you "dpkg -i kdelibs4c2a_3.5.1-2_i386.deb" (after
>>wget'ing it or otherwise downloading it:
>>http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/download.pl?arch=i386&file=pool%2Fmain%2
>>Fk%2Fkdelibs%2Fkdelibs4c2a_3.5.1-2_i386.deb&md5sum=49f28c8787c1fac3942715462
>>0ae3314&arch=i386&type=main for i386), the installation of the deb will
>>fail? (I assume that's the correct package, as it's the only hit I had on
>>debian.org when I
>>searched for /libkdecore.so.4/ in the Testing branch.)
>>

>and you do not by this address THE problem, see
>http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/03/msg00604.html

Sorry; I must be dense. I see the problem there as an inability to
reinstall or remove the X Window System. The error given on that page is:

>/usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4: undefined

which indicates to me that the problem may lie in the libkdecore.so.4
file. So I suggested that you reinstall the package containing that
file, and you then seemed to imply that you can't install anything,
which means the problem is not with the X system, but with the overall
system.

I apologize if I'm chasing down the wrong problem, but I only do so
because I thought the problem I was chasing is the problem you're
having. But admittedly, I've come into the middle of this thread, and
may have been reading things with the wrong slant. Hopefully you can
clear up my confusion.

--
Kent