Re: CUPS, Sarge/Debian/GNU/Linux and Mac OS X

On (26/02/06 12:48), Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 07:27:21PM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> > On (26/02/06 12:14), Paul E Condon wrote:
> > > I have been attempting to get CUPS working in a mixed Sarge/MacOSX environment.
> > > Actually, I have it working but my current solution is not to my liking.
> > > My question is:
> > >
> > > Is there anyone out there who has Mac running OSX sharing a printer attached
> > > to a box running  Sarge, and NOT running netatalk/ATALKD-PAPD ?
> > >
> > I've tried this on a G4 here running OSX 10.2 and on a clients pb
> > running 10.3.  I set up the sarge servers (powerpc and i386) using
> > samba/cups, see:
> > http://excess.org/docs/linux_windows_printing.html
> >
> > (I don't run nfs or netatalk but network all flavours on samba)
> >
> > and setup cups on the OSX clients by following:
> > http://homepage.mac.com/william_white/print_to_windows.html
> >
> Was samba a necessary part of your solution to the Mac/Linux
> printing connection, or an adjunct to it that solved some
> other requirement on your system?

Well cups also uses IPP but I've never had much success with it and I
have never tried it with the Mac ... but it should be possible.

Furthermore I was looking for a solution to serve Linux, Mac and Windows
clients that could be applied in most office environments.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...