Re: CUPS, Sarge/Debian/GNU/Linux and Mac OS X

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 11:14:55PM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (26/02/06 12:48), Paul E Condon wrote:

> > > I've tried this on a G4 here running OSX 10.2 and on a clients pb
> > > running 10.3.  I set up the sarge servers (powerpc and i386) using
> > > samba/cups, see:
> > > http://excess.org/docs/linux_windows_printing.html
> > >
> > > (I don't run nfs or netatalk but network all flavours on samba)
> > >
> > > and setup cups on the OSX clients by following:
> > > http://homepage.mac.com/william_white/print_to_windows.html
> > >
> > Was samba a necessary part of your solution to the Mac/Linux
> > printing connection, or an adjunct to it that solved some
> > other requirement on your system?
>
> Well cups also uses IPP but I've never had much success with it and I
> have never tried it with the Mac ... but it should be possible.
>
> Furthermore I was looking for a solution to serve Linux, Mac and Windows
> clients that could be applied in most office environments.
>
> Regards
>
> Clive

Perhaps differences of opinion between Linux and Apple developers
about IPP is the source of my problem. But if MSWindows is added
to the mix, there is little reason to avoid Samba, especially since it
does work.  For me, the problem is that I have no Windows experience,
so I incline towards an approach that should allow me to avoid learning
how to configure Samba. (And test my config. without a Windows box.)

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net