Re: On rtorrent

On Feb 25 2006, Michael M. wrote:
> Rogério Brito wrote:
> >That's strange. I've been using a plain/vanilla etch system here (in
> >fact, I always track testing) and I *do* have rtorrent available
> >here.
>
> Well I'll check again.  Perhaps it is available for in Etch for your
> architecture, but it wasn't for mine (powerpc - an iMac).

Humm, two things here:

* I *do* use a powerpc here all the time with Debian. A quite old
  PowerMac 9500/180MP with a G3 replacement card and rtorrent is indeed
  available for etch here.

* A package only migrates to testing (currently, etch) only if it
  builds on the major architectures supported by Debian (and powerpc is
  definitely one of them).

> It can get frustrating at times because many websites fail to mention
> that some piece of software or other is x86 only.

I happen to live quite well with a i386 desktop that is driven
completely by Free Software (I don't have non-free currently listed in
my sources.list file).

The last "major" problem for me was getting evince to work correctly
with PDF files that I generate with Mozilla -> ps2pdf (and gs-esp for my
printer).

But, then, my necessities aren't that big or complex compared to
others'.

Oh, BTW, if you have any suggestions for the vrms package, I'd love to
know. :-)

> It seems just as many Windows users presume that everybody uses
> Windows, so do many Linux users presume that everyone uses x86.  They
> forget that Linux (especially Debian) runs on many more architectures.

I just took the opposite direction: I try to teach them why having an
'agnostic' position is good. But then, I have the privilege that most of
the people with whom I live heed to my words. :-)

> I have been using more and more command-line/curses apps ...
(...)
> abcde and crip for cd ripping,

If you don't know about moc (which is a superb audio player), I'd
recommend it, since you mentioned this intention of using more curses
applications.

> vim for text editing, mplayer for videos, even w3m instead of Firefox
> for looking up certain things on the web ...

I can't speak for vi(m), as this is a matter of religion (I'm an Emacs
user myself), but mplayer+mjpegtools+toolame+dvdauthor is definitely the
suite that I use to produce DVDs here.

And I frequently use w3m, links and lynx for surfing the web (I still
haven't made up my mind---all three have their strong and weak points).

> next step is to learn mutt instead of using Thunderbird.

Definitely a worthy goal. And while you are at it, it may perhaps make
sense to put all your mail on your computer under an IMAP server. This
way, you can choose if you want to read your e-mail in your own computer
with mutt, with Thunderbird or from a friend's place with another
graphical MUA.

> Maybe not "all text, all the time," but more text, less gui -- that's
> my goal!  :-)

Graphical interfaces aren't inherently bad. :-) But the problem with
them is, actually, the people designing them, that have absolutely no
idea of computer-human-interaction/interface.

Regards, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/