Re: DVD ISO files

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 16:00, Travis Crook wrote:
> Hi all,
> 	I'm new to the list and to Debian itself (but not necessarily
> new to linux). I would like to install it and try it out, but I have
> some questions.  I have downloaded two files (DVD iso images) that are
> named:
> debian-31r0a-i386-binary-1.iso.tmp and
> debian-31r0a-i386-binary-2.iso.tmp
>
> They are each 2.0GB.  On the download page it lists them as being 4.1
> and 4.3GB in size.  Which size is right?  Also, they end in .tmp.  Is
> that just a temporary extension?  Can I drop it and burn the iso?  Do
> I have the right files?  I downloaded them from
> http://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/debian-cd/3.1_r0a/i386-dvd
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
>
> --
> Travis Crook
> Visions Beyond
> www.VisionsBeyond.com
> 208-478-7836

	Hello Travis,

	http is not a very good way of downloading large file. You would be better of
using the torrent method. One program for downloading torrent file is
bittornado. If you use this method to download the debian iso image you will
need to open port 1000 to 1010 on you firewall and if you are behind a router
point these open ports to the box you have installed bittornado client on. If
the box allso as a firewall, again open ports 1000 to 1010. Configure the
bittornado client to use the same ports. When bittornado completes its
download it check to see if the file is perfect. The torrent method of
downloading is much better on host bandwidth because the bulk of load is
between the clients that are shareing.

	Another way is to use jigdo to downlaod the iso image.
Instead of downloading the dvd images you could download the "netinst" CD
image for a "network install". This iso image is only 180 MB in size. The
"netinst" CD will install the base system and the rest of the install is then
over the net.

One more way if you want the dvd imags is to use ftp instead of http to do the
download.

		Regards,

                          peter colton