Re: On rtorrent

Rogério Brito wrote:
Hi, Michael and others.

On Feb 23 2006, Michael M. wrote:

Last time I checked, rtorrent was available only in Sid, and aptitude
complained when I marked it for installation.

That's strange. I've been using a plain/vanilla etch system here (in
fact, I always track testing) and I *do* have rtorrent available here.

Well I'll check again. Perhaps it is available for in Etch for your architecture, but it wasn't for mine (powerpc - an iMac). There are often differences. One reason I upgraded from Sarge to Etch was that there were so few ppc backports available; I probably would've stayed with Sarge if I was using x86.

It can get frustrating at times because many websites fail to mention that some piece of software or other is x86 only. It seems just as many Windows users presume that everybody uses Windows, so do many Linux users presume that everyone uses x86. They forget that Linux (especially Debian) runs on many more architectures.

I would like to try it though, as Bittornado is not so much to my
liking.  I hope it moves to Etch soon.

Well, you may be surprised with the steep learning curve for rtorrent
(and its interface), but it is definitely worth learning, because of the
non-interpreted nature of the program and the fact that it consumes
*far* less resources than similar programs written in Python or Java.

I have been using more and more command-line/curses apps ... they just seem to work better, and definitely faster. mc for file management, abcde and crip for cd ripping, vim for text editing, mplayer for videos, even w3m instead of Firefox for looking up certain things on the web ... next step is to learn mutt instead of using Thunderbird. Maybe not "all text, all the time," but more text, less gui -- that's my goal! :-) I am still new to most of this and have lots to learn, but hey, it's enjoyable.

--
Michael