Re: New install and newbie questions

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:12:12 -0700
"Charles" <cchamb2@qwest.net> wrote:

> I also did my first
> reinstall and watchd it closely.

It is said there are Debian users than didn't reinstall in 10 (ten) years. Debian supports direct upgrading from one release to another (stable or not). I remember from reading the upgrade instructions from woody (the previous stable) to sarge (the current stable) that it required just one reboot, but it was recommended to upgrade the kernel separately, so this would require a second reboot ;)

> But the EU is accustomed and expecting a GUI.  Without it, s/he needs
> further education or training after getting under the hood.

I grew up with DOS (no not Denial Of Service, though it did deny you the service sometimes :) ) so I don't consider a GUI so essential. Even though I run Debian in X (most of the time), I (almost) always have an xterm open. And not only for administrative tasks... Imagine that most of the GUI tools in Linux are merely frontends to CLI programs. While it might be more comfortable to click/drag-and-drop to burn a CD, one can do the same (and faster) with one line at the CLI. And this is just one example.

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)