Re: New install and newbie questions

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:00:32 -0700
"Charles" <cchamb2@qwest.net> wrote:

> So I should 1)  Add the 14 CD's and the two update CD's via "apt-cdrom add",
> 2) activate all sources in Synaptic, 3) run "apt-get update" and "apt-get
> upgrade" and I'll have an up-to-date system.

You need at least:

deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

and something like this (should have been added during the base-config)

deb ftp://ftp.your-mirror.org/debian stable main

With this you can keep your system up to date if you regularly do 'apt-get update' 'apt-get upgrade'

> Should this update very few packages if the download is one week old?

What download? The CD's? Do you have r0 or r1 CD's? If you have r1 than the update should be minimal.

[snip]

> I'm also assuming the separation between end user and administrator is
> enforced by the separation between GUI and CLI.

No. Any user (in the default install) can press Ctrl-Alt-F1(-F6) to login at the console. Or open an xterm, which is almost the same. Root can run X as well. And there are many GUI tools to configure your system, that can be started/used by any user who has the root password. This is true for most if not all distros.

> This will be fun.  If I can reproduce/document a successful installation, a
> fair number of GUI's for the end user are available, the installation and
> desktop is stable, and I have direct access to a broad library of software
> that can be installed on the fly, then I have a distribution of Linux I can
> work with.   Mandrake has been averaging about one stable install each three
> major versions, and that's the closest I come to a desktop with lots of
> different GUI's.

The 'stable' release is rock solid. It's the recommended release for production systems.

After you gain more experience you might want to try 'testing' or even 'unstable'. Though some say they are more stable than other distros, be prepared for problems. The good side is you get to run the latest software and get to learn how to repair your system ;)

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)