Re: trouble installing RAID and LVM.

On Saturday 11 February 2006 14:09, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> While installing debian-testing-amd64-netinst (downloaded 2006 02 03)
> When I got to the point where I get to select "configure software RAID"
> I am told,
>                        [!!] pARTITION DISKS
> Before RAID can be configured, the changes have to be written
> The partition table is the following devices are changed
>           RAID device #0
> Write the changes to the storage devices and configure RAID?
>
> I choose Yes, and am told,
>
> The kernel was unable to re-read the partition table on /dev/md/0
> (Invalid argument).  This means Linux won't know anything about the
> modifications you made unito you reboot.  You chould reboot your
> computer before doing anything with /dev/md/0
>
> Well, rebooting restarts the install, which just gets me to the same
> point.  It does seem to recognise my RAID, by the way.  That had been
> set up ages ago.  It just doesn't seem to get past the above issues.
>
> If I ignore the lamentations and continue anyway, 	 can't get
> any further.  My next step is to configure LVM on that RAID drive.
> I can't get anywhere with that.  I have an existing LVM partition
> (111G) on the RAID drive from an earlier practice intall, and I want it
> deleted.  But it refuses to do that.
>
> Somehow I suspect it is mishandling the RAID in some subtle way, and
> possibly finding LVM information on the constituent partitions instead
> of on the proper RAID device.  But I could be wrong.
>
> It's conceivable that this problem is AMD64 specific, but nothing I've
> seen so far suggests that -- otherwise I'd have posted this to an AMD
> mailing list.
>
> -- hendrik

	Hello hendrik,

	The link below should be of help to you. Its a howto for setting up mirror
raid 0 but its how you start the install with the sarge installer that should
be of intrest to you.

http://nepotismia.com/debian/raidinstall/part1.html

	Start the install with the expert26 option and then pick the md module for
the a raid enabled kernel.

               Regards

                    peter colton