Re: pppoe problem

Dmitri Kostioukov wrote:
Hello, I've recently started using a provider that needs pppoe and I'm having
problem configuring my box for it. My debian box acts as a router/firewall for
several other computers on the network.
It seems to connect fine through pppoe, gets an IP address and DNS servers.
However, only 1 machine on the network can connect to the internet. Other
machines have various problems. For instance, they hit google.com in a second,
but other sites just sit there forever after getting the title, or some other
sites get some info but never finish loading. The machine that does work is the
one that provider's software was originally installed on, so I'm thinking their
software might have changed some ethernet parameters.

This may be way off base, but I had similar symptoms owing to an IPv6 problem. I'm still not sure if it's a Debian issue or kernel/kernel module issue, but anyway I couldn't get anywhere until I disabled IPv6 altogether. I mention it because you said you were having browsing issues, rather than overall networking issues. If the other machines are also having problems with email, etc., then it's probably not IPv6. But if the only issue is http-related, you might try different browsers on the problem machines. Konqueror (version from Sarge) worked fine for me, while Epiphany, Firefox & Mozilla did not. w3m wouldn't connect unless I used the "-4" (IPv4 only) option, then it was fine.

--
Michael