Re: catch-22 upgrade (FYI)

I'm hoping one day that I'll be samrt and actually make a back-up of my system before trying stuff like upgrading again.

You should always have backups. If you are running unstable, you should make the backups NOW. You never know what is going to happen in the next upgrade. Better be paranoid and have backups ready than loosing months/years of work.

My OpenOffice.org 2.0 (converted from alien) seems to have vanished.

Why not just install them from unstable repositories (instead of alien)? It is as simple as running

apt-get install openoffice.org

Unstable currently has openoffice 2.0.1-2 .

Also before upgrading from stable to testing or unstable, I think it is a good idea to check

http://wiki.debian.org/StatusOfTesting

http://wiki.debian.org/StatusOfUnstable

hth
raju

Thanks for the tips. I did install OpenOffice.org 2.0, and it works well. My main point was how irritating the udev/kernel image catch-22 was. I know others have dealt with this quandary too.