trouble installing RAID and LVM.

While installing debian-testing-amd64-netinst (downloaded 2006 02 03)
When I got to the point where I get to select "configure software RAID"
I am told,
                       [!!] pARTITION DISKS
Before RAID can be configured, the changes have to be written
The partition table is the following devices are changed
          RAID device #0
Write the changes to the storage devices and configure RAID?

I choose Yes, and am told,

The kernel was unable to re-read the partition table on /dev/md/0
(Invalid argument).  This means Linux won't know anything about the
modifications you made unito you reboot.  You chould reboot your
computer before doing anything with /dev/md/0

Well, rebooting restarts the install, which just gets me to the same
point.  It does seem to recognise my RAID, by the way.  That had been
set up ages ago.  It just doesn't seem to get past the above issues.

If I ignore the lamentations and continue anyway, 	 can't get
any further.  My next step is to configure LVM on that RAID drive.
I can't get anywhere with that.  I have an existing LVM partition
(111G) on the RAID drive from an earlier practice intall, and I want it
deleted.  But it refuses to do that.

Somehow I suspect it is mishandling the RAID in some subtle way, and
possibly finding LVM information on the constituent partitions instead
of on the proper RAID device.  But I could be wrong.

It's conceivable that this problem is AMD64 specific, but nothing I've
seen so far suggests that -- otherwise I'd have posted this to an AMD
mailing list.

-- hendrik