Re: weird fam/samba problem

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 22:05:36 -0600
Jacob S <stormspotter@6Texans.net> wrote:

> Fam was started by /etc/init.d/fam on my Sid machine. (I say was
> because it appears my machine is now using avahi, since I did an
> apt-get upgrade the other day.)

These are unrelated things. Avahi provides "a framework for Multicast
DNS Service Discovery" AKA zeroconf AKA rendezvous AKA bonjour AKA
whatever Apple decides to call it next week.

Fam is for tracking changes to files and reporting those back to
applications. Gamin is intended to be a better replacement for fam,
whether it lives up to that I don't know, but it's what I have
installed on my system.

Later, Seeker