Re: weird fam/samba problem

On Thursday 02 February 2006 13:14, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 08:57:43 -0500
>
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Wednesday 01 February 2006 02:39, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >Greetings;
>>
>> And no one has any comments to make on this?
>
>not a clue. why samba and not nfs?

Because I have yet, despite quite a bit of expert handholding, ever been
able to make NFS work for anything here.  No permissions returns is all
I can get.  Also, even though the NSF starter is being run by the
bootup, it always logs the message that NFS4-MTAB doesn't exist.  On
the bootup screen but nowhere else in the logs.  And questions asked
about that on the net have now been uniformly ignored on the major
lists I haunt for about 4 years now. :(

>FWIW, I killed fam, and
>
>> things seem to be working more or less normally here. Killing fam
>> allowed me to umount those shares.  This is required because I have
>> a script (cron) that remounts some shares daily else they get stale
>> or something and quit working, or did back when I set that script up
>> 5 years ago because it would quit working at odd times.
>
>is this a bug with fam? I've had some trouble umounting nfs shares on
> occaision for no apparent reason, though umount -l does the trick.

But what happens then if the share is to be immediatelty remounted, like
my little daily insurance cron script does.?

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: