Re: Removing Exim 4 from Sarge

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 13:46:25 +0000
Brad Stockdale <bradsprt@greenepa.net> wrote:

>  What I would like to know is what is the best way to remove the
> preinstalled binary of Exim so that I can download the source and compile it
> manually? When I try to remove it through aptitude, it wants to remove all
> the packages dependant upon it which I don't want to do since I will be
> installing another copy of Exim anyway.

Sometimes I might prefer to use equivs to create a dummy package then
compile and do 'make install', but for something like this I would
probably use checkinstall to create a .deb package.

If you are given the option with checkinstall (don't remember off the
top of my head) you need to specify that it provides
mail-transport-agent to satisfy the dependency for packages that that
depend on one. If checkinstall doesn't give you the option you can
still use equivs to create a dummy package that satisfies the
dependency. Looking at exim in apt-cache it looks like you should
probably put mail-transport-agent in the conflicts and replaces fields
as well.

Later, Seeker