Re: apache2 and ssl

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 10:00 -0700, Ed wrote:
> I'm following along with a book called PHP and MySQL Web Development
> (2003) and doing some sanity testing it recommends.
>
> The step I'm on is to check to see if ssl is working and it says to
> try:
> https://localhost
> or
> http://localhost:443
>
> to see if ssl is working.
>
> When I try either of those two commands I get a 404 dialog from
> mozilla
> The connection was refused when trying to contact localhost:443
>
> I did a
> /usr/sbin/apache2ctl /startssl
> and it returned that it is already running.
>
> I see that there is a package called apache-ssl but no apache2-ssl.
>
> I just got throught purching all the apache stuff and keeping apache2
> so I don't think I want to install apache-ssl.

ssl is in the apache2 package. you need to enable it in your
sites-available config files.

for me, i did the following:

# /etc/apache2/sites-available/site
NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>
	standard apache stuff
</VirtualHost>

# /etc/apache2/sites-available/site-ssl
NameVirtualHost *:443
<VirtualHost *:443>
        SSLEngine On
        SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl/apache.pem

	standard apache stuff
</VirtualHost>

# /etc/apache2/ports.conf
Listen 80