apache2 and ssl

I'm following along with a book called PHP and MySQL Web Development (2003) and doing some sanity testing it recommends.

The step I'm on is to check to see if ssl is working and it says to try:
https://localhost
or
http://localhost:443

to see if ssl is working.

When I try either of those two commands I get a 404 dialog from mozilla
The connection was refused when trying to contact localhost:443

I did a
/usr/sbin/apache2ctl /startssl
and it returned that it is already running.

I see that there is a package called apache-ssl but no apache2-ssl.

I just got throught purching all the apache stuff and keeping apache2 so I don't think I want to install apache-ssl.

Thanks,

--
Ed