Re: Howto package squirrelmail plugins the Debian way (Was Re: Sieve client)

Hello all,

Well apparently some of us are interested in the squirrelmail plugins. We should
definetely push it.

>> .. I feel this would be the best option. Security updates are
>> important since all of this will be exposed to the net. Size doesn't
>> matter, even if you'd install all known plugins it would use only a
>> small amount of diskspace. Most of all, as Josep mentioned, this way
>> the plugins would be upgradable too when moving to a new debian
>> release. If the user would like to free up diskspace, deleting some
>> plugins is a trivial task, but would apt be able to notice the
>> deletions and act appropiately when upgrading?
>
> Depends on what you think is appropriate: apt (or rather, dpkg) will
> simply restore the deleted files on upgrade (it cannot know which ones
> were deleted intentionally).
>
> As plugins are only exposed when enabled by the admin in some way via a
> config option in /etc/squirrelmail, I too feel this would be the best
> solution if we were to package the plugins ourselves.

Obviously the mainstream solution can never satisfy everyone. In this case the
mainstream package would not meet the requirements of people who just want a single
plugin and want to keep low their disk usage. For the rest of the prosperous Debian
admins who have enough disk space this package would suit their needs since they
would only enable those plugins they need.

There are 206 plugins available for squirrelmail. Thinking on maintenance I recon it
can be a hell keeping updated a package with integrates sources from quite a few
different developers. In the other hand, if we had one small debian package for each
plugin (206!), wouldn?t it be also a nightmare maintaining so many packages?

One last idea: what about a squirrelmail plugin installer? It could read the plugins
through HTTP and let the user select which ones must be installed.

Thijs et all, although I am not experienced maintaining debian packages I would be
happy helping you on this effort. Please keep me in your loop.

Are we getting out of the scope of the debian users mailing list? Let?s keep
discussing somewhere else? Perhaps some squirrelmail mailing list?

Regards,
Josep Serrano