Re: Howto package squirrelmail plugins the Debian way (Was Re: Sieve client)

Hello Josep,

> To install any plugin you have to download the tarball and detar the package into
> your squirrelmail plugins directory. Eventually for each particular plugin some
> configuration file might be edited.
>
> I guess new updates of squirrelmail will break the plugins installed manually.
> My question now is how I could package the plugins the Debian way? Can we generalize
> a method for evey plugin or perhaps setup a package with all plugins?
>
> PD. I included the mantained of squirrelmail package in CC since he can bring some
> enlightment.

Sure. We thought about this issue before, but did not yet arrive at a
satisfying conclusion. At one point, some of the more popular plugins
were packaged separately (each in a package), but this was rejected by
the FTP-Master due to "archive bloat". So this path is out.

Another option would be to group plugins into larger (source or binary?)
packages, for example a selection of addressbook plugins. These would
all be installed and the admin can select which to enable. This has some
disadvantages aswell: you install things you don't need, you need to
group sources from different upstream authors into one source package.

A third option is some way to make local packages of squirrelmail
plugins, a la java-package. This provides the benefit of installing them
the "right" way, but also just that: it doesn't yield (security)updates,
debian-tweaks or integration.

If you have ideas on this subject, or would like to help out on this,
we're glad to hear from you. I acknowledge that there's currently no
good solution, and input from others is more than welcome.

Thijs
(I'm not subscribed to debian-user)