Re: Xorg eats my CPU

Michael Ott <michael@zolnott.de> writes:

> Hello Kevin!
>
>> I am running (up to date) Debian unstable on my laptop, it has a
>> Radeon IGP 340M graphics chip. For the last month or so I am seeing
>> the Xorg process gradually gobble up more and more CPU, up to 30/40%
>> and in some cases 99%.

> That depends what side you visit. If there is a java applet or a flash
> animation inside you need more CPU.

Yes, I think you'll find that Flash is the culprit. Simply find the
page running Flash (on my system, the cursor turns into a hand with a
cuff and the right mouse button brings up a Flash context menu), and
remove it.

Since Flash is used for gratuitous, annoying animation most of the
time, you can remove the flashplugin-nonfree package. Or, just in case
someone sends you a cool JibJab video, you can turn off Flash
temporarily with the following command:

# mv /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so \
     /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so-