Re: rpc.statd paranoia

On 1/18/06, Johannes Wiedersich <johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de > wrote:

If you are paranoid, you should also install/activate a firewall...

Yes, I am looking into firewall software. Although, I am behind a linksys little router I bought from future-shop, but I think it might have been tampered with it if they successfully logged into it by guessing my pw and possibly now set it back to normal. I'm not an expert on firewalls so I don't know how much protection this gives...

If you don't have special requirements, like a bank, a
internet provider... you shouldn't start worrying too much.

Yes, that's typically true...

Having said all that, it's good practice to only install those
services/packages that you actually use.

I agree, but I initially installed this sytem to have as a toy with all kinds of bells and whistles so I could learn about it all, but now I am interested in finding out whether it has been compromised or not.  So I'm currently downloading a fresh Knoppix to do some testing. And during this whole process I am still trying to learn as much as possible about administration and security..

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.