Re: Should I Abandon Mutt and Exim4?

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:12:49PM -0600, Lance Simmons wrote:
> * Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> [060112 20:37]:
> >
> > OTOH, if you are Joe Consumer getting your i'net connection from an
> > ISP, then no, It Won't Work.  He'll need to send all email thru his
> > ISP's smtp server.
>
> Right.  And this is easy enough to do.
>
> > As Gregory Seidman wrote, OP will have to configure exim4 to be
> > a smarthost.  Thus, when *any* MUA sends email (in sendmail mode),
> > the MTA (exim4, in this case) will forward the mail to the ISP
>
> I think you mean he needs to configure exim4 to use a smarthost, namely,
> the ISP's smtp server.
>
> Here are the steps I'd follow:
>
> First, 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config', to specify the appropriate
> smarthost.  (Information he has to have if mozilla mail is working.)
>
> Then, if that doesn't work, read the error logfiles in /var/log/exim4/,
> to see if you're getting rejected by the ISP.  If you are, you may need
> to specify a username and password, which is done by manually editing
> /etc/exim4/passwd.client according to the instructions in that file.
>
> --
> Lance Simmons
> Tragedy is when I stub my toe. Comedy is when you fall
> through an open manhole and die.
>                 -- Mel Brooks

Something to note is this comment in exim4.conf.template:

# Because AUTH PLAIN and AUTH LOGIN send the password in clear, we
# only allow these mechanisms over encrypted connections by default.
# You can set AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS to allow unencrypted
# clear text password authentication on all connections.

I just set AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS='true' in
/etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template (I placed it just under the comment
above), edited passwd.client, ran update-exim4.conf and restarted exim.
This is the part that took me forever to figure out :\