Re: Should I Abandon Mutt and Exim4?

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 10:57 +1100, CaT wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 05:07:56PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > I have spent a couple of days trying to configure Exim4 so as to be able
> > to respond to postings from Mutt but without success.
>
> It should just work[tm]. What error messages are you getting from mutt?

If you live on a machine that has a routeable IP address, and a
functioning DNS, then sure, it should Just Work.

OTOH, if you are Joe Consumer getting your i'net connection from
an ISP, then no, It Won't Work.  He'll need to send all email thru
his ISP's smtp server.

As Gregory Seidman wrote, OP will have to configure exim4 to be
a smarthost.  Thus, when *any* MUA sends email (in sendmail mode),
the MTA (exim4, in this case) will forward the mail to the ISP

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Its easy to understand why the cat has eclipsed the dog as
modern America's favorite pet. People like pets to possess the
same qualities they do. Cats are irresponsible and recognize no
authority, yet are completely dependent on others for their
material needs. Cats cannot be made to do anything useful. Cats
are mean for the fun of it."
P.J. O'Rourke, satirist